Armstrong Siddeley Heritage Trust
Armstrong Siddeley 18hp Utility Gallery
The idea that the Whitley chassis would be a suitable platform for a Utility vehicle originally came from the Australian distributors of Armstrong Siddeley motor cars. At first thought, it is difficult to understand why a manufacturer of quality motor cars would endanger its reputation by producing such a basic commercial vehicle. However, given that the British Government edict that only those manufacturers who exported their products would get the necessary materials to build them, it is easy to see how the suggestion quickly became a reality.
The Utilities were built on the standard Whitley chassis using the 18hp 2.3 litre engine connected to a manual gearbox; the pre-select box was available as an option. There were two models with different cab and load area configurations, the first of these was the Utility Coupe which had a single cab with a bench seat for up to three people.
The first images in this gallery are of the Utility Coupe, click on an image to enlarge it.
The second variant was the Station Coupe which had a double cab with two rows of seats, this necessitated a larger cab which reduced the available load area, the following images are of a Station Coupe.
Deliveries started in 1949 and when production ended in 1952 over 1,716 had been built; 974 as Station Coupes and 742 as Utility Coupes. Over 60% of all Utilities produced were exported to Australia.