Rail Cars. Circa 1933.
Michelin in France developed a series of railcars running on pneumatic tyres and one of these was sent over to Britain for trials. This initiative led Armstrong Siddeley, Michelin and the LMS railway to partner in the making of the Coventry pneumatic tyred railcar. By 1935 two railcars were in service. In 1937 they were put in storage and after the war were dismantled. One wheel is all that remains and that was given to the National Railway Museum in York for safe keeping. The picture in the below shows how the system worked.