Armstrong Siddeley in Advertising
In 1948 there was felt a need to increase the power of the new 16hp cars in order to keep ahead of the competition. To this end an increase from 1991cc. to 2309cc. with compression ratio reduced from 7:1 to 6.5:1 allied to a return to the long stroke type of engine, resulted in a very smooth and flexible driving car. The last 800 engines produced reverted from hydraulically operated valves to the solid tappet type.
During 1949 this 18hp engine was fitted only to the cars earmarked for export. However in February of 1950 a new body style was introduced, designated the 'Whitley'. This time a four light saloon with a more radical 'razor edge' type of body styling, which gave the impression of a close- coupled sporting saloon, belying the fact that it was indeed a comfortable conveyance for four to six people.
The Whitley effectively replaced the Typhoon which A.S.M. management had viewed as a temporary solution to the problem that demand for the Lancaster saloon was out stripping supply. However the new Whitley with the 18hp power unit and modern styling filled the bill and over 2500 units were produced over the next 2 years.
Since the end of hostilities and with the government directive to export, Armstrong Siddeley had found favour with the public in Australia. These sturdy cars had impressed and a request was made as to the possibility of a utility vehicle. To this end two types of ‘utility’, 'ute' or 'pickup' (take your pick) were produced. The picture above shows the standard 18hp 'Utility Coupe' as described by ASM having a bench seat giving seating for three people while the 'Station Coupe' pictured below at the cost of reduced load space featured an additional basic rear bench seat which was adequate at a pinch for short journeys.
The final body type, shown above, for the 16/18hp range of cars was the 18hp Limousine, launched in September 1950. These were built in house by Burlington on a chassis lengthened by some 7 inches. This imposing vehicle was of course fitted out as was expected of a limousine. A glass division gave privacy to the passenger compartment which sported its own heater and, set in opulent polished wood surroundings, a clock featured amongst the many detail finishes. Weighing in at one and three quarter tons this vehicle was fitted with all round Lockheed hydraulic brakes, making it the first Armstrong Siddeley so equipped.
In all 122 were made before production ceased in 1952.