In a topical change from our series of pictures showing Armstrong Siddeley’s being built in the Parkside factory, Coventry, here is an item to celebrate VE day
Seventy five years ago on the 9th day of May 1945, and just 24 hours after the armistice was declared, Armstrong Siddeley Motors were the first British car maker to announce their peace time line of all new models.
Given patriotic names from within the Armstrong Siddeley Motors group ownership, the Lancaster saloon and the Hurricane drop head coupe were the first of a range which would eventually expand to four in number and serve the company and public well for the next eight years, before the introduction of the 346 Sapphire.
We will return to the factory series in our next Jotting.
A very early picture showing both cars in the Burlington body shop.