Armstrong Siddeley assists in the 100 year celebration of ‘Reading Bridge’
The town of Reading, situated on the south bank of the river Thames, as it flows through Berkshire, is currently connected with Caversham on the opposite side by three bridges - Reading road bridge opened1923, Caversham road bridge, opened 1926 and since 2015 a cycle and pedestrian only suspension bridge.
Reading Bridge was designed by L.G.Mouchel and Partners who, incidentally, designed the first two chimneys for Battersea Power Station and the Earls Court Exhibition Centre. The latter is probably best remembered as the location for many years for the International Motor Show.
The bridge is constructed in steel reinforced Ferro Concrete as a graceful single span having twin carriageways and pedestrian footpaths. Steps lead down to the tow path and a tunnel maintains tow path continuity. Holloway Brothers were the Contractors and in 1923 it was claimed to be the longest single span bridge of its type.
One hundred years to the day, the Mayor of Reading, witnessed by Councillors and friends unveiled the plaque commemorating the 100 years of service this bridge has given to the people of Reading.
Unlike the opening back in 1923 when it was wet and windy this year was sunny with clear blue skies and just right for a small cavalcade of classic cars.,
The Classic cars which took part were all owned and driven by members of the Armstrong Siddeley Owners Club.
The Rolls-Royce is a 1934 Twenty/twenty five.
The closed Armstrong Siddeley is a 1935 17hp Sports Foursome.
The open Armstrong Siddeley is a 1958 Sapphire 234 convertible.