Search

Pictures from the Heritage Archives

To start us off this week here is a really nice picture of a Mk.1 14/4 tourer in a rather snazzy two tone colour arrangement. The car seems happy to be photographed but we are not quite so sure about the owner and his lady.


Regular readers may have noticed in pictures dating around the late 20s and into the start of the 30s ladies seem to have enjoyed (endured) what to our eyes today was a rather fierce fashion in hats.




This picture is particularly interesting as it shows most clearly the experimental quarter elliptical cantilever front spring arrangement fitted to the Mk.1 14/4. This arrangement was found prone to unpleasant pitching on certain road surfaces despite being augmented by strong dampers. Also it is clear to see that only rear wheel braking is provided. After over 2000 cars were manufactured, a return to the A.S. proven semi-elliptical spring system was phased in with the addition of four wheel braking fitted to the Mk.2 14/4 in readiness for presentation at the 1925 Motor Show.


The car pictured can be dated as manufactured at some time after the 1924 Motor show and into the first half of 1925.


The gentleman would have considered himself the proud owner of an Armstrong Siddeley, Four Fourteen, for such was the description given in the companies advertising. In the factory however it was always referred to as the 14/4.

The car in our second picture this week is a real survivor.




In recent jottings we have been considering the era of fabric bodied motor cars. This set of pictures feature an 20hp. Cranwell, four light fabric bodied saloon - a roomy five seater family car claiming the benefits of silent running and easy cleaning. Perhaps the most eye catching features are the pram irons fitted to the rear blind quarters and the high gloss painted bonnet.




This particular car is understood to be the only survivor of this body type and the current owner must be praised for this meticulous restoration. We understand the Sphinx and the pram irons are made of bronze and all the bright work has been nickel plated as is correct and was original on the cars at the time of manufacture.